Furniture is for life not just for Christmas! That’s why you need to protect the best. Pets and kids and annoying guests are just a fact of life unfortunately so take time out now to learn about what you can do to keep the sparkle and verve in your CasaLivin furniture to make it last you the extra.
Fabric chairs are the classic nightmare! Great when you buy them, and then some helpful Harry has a drop too much wine. Keep reading to blow away your worries about buying fabric chairs. From Pets, Pens and Paint to Coffee, Coke and Korma make your chairs invincible!
Maintenance and Care for Upholstered Chairs
- We recommend the following maintenance and care for your upholstered furniture. Please note however, that because of the variety of fabrics and fibre combinations used, there is no guarantee that these methods will be completely successful. If in doubt, we recommend professional upholstery cleaning
- Vacuum your furniture using the upholstery attachment of your vacuum cleaner, to remove dust and grit that may cause abrasion and premature wear
- Velvet furniture is susceptible to the nap can becoming flattened, we recommend using a specific velvet upholstery brush to gently brush the velvet in the direction of the nap. Do not try to brush against the nap as this will damage the velvet.
- Alternatively you can steam the velvet fabric with a handheld steaming wand, hold the wand carefully near your velvet. Touching the wand directly to the fabric will damage it, so be sure to hold it close enough to gently steam the surface without leaving any condensation on the material. Dry the fabric completely. Then finally groom the velvet in the direction of the nap with a velvet brush. In other words, brush it down. Do not try to brush against the nap as this will damage the velvet
- Professional cleaning is the best way to make a slightly soiled armchair look new again, but weekly vacuuming will make professional cleaning a less frequent event
- Never brush any fabric with a stiff fibre or metal brush, which may damage the fibres
- Caution those wearing clothing with transferable dyes, such as blue jeans, that the dye could transfer onto light coloured furniture
- Avoid sitting on the arms, back or very edge of your furniture as this may cause distortion and/or damage
- It is advisable to avoid liquids near upholstered fabrics to avoid the risk of spills. If spills occur it is important to clean the fabric immediately to avoid the stain becoming permanent. Ideally use a clean, dry, absorbent cotton cloth to blot up the spill (if you use paper towels make sure that they are white to avoid any colour transferring onto the fabric). If blotting doesn’t quite finish the job and the stain is still visible, professional cleaning is advised
- Never apply cleaning solutions to visible areas of your upholstery fabric without first testing on hidden areas. It is important to pre-test for colour fastness and fabric compatibility. If your furniture becomes stained, scratched or chipped or suffers other damage we recommend professional help is sought to restore it
- Glass or mirrored panels should be cleaned using a non-solvent based glass cleaner and a soft cloth, carefully avoiding contact with wooden or painted sections. If your furniture becomes stained, scratched or chipped, or suffers other damage we recommend professional help is sought to restore it